Kilkenny County Library Service has 8 libraries: Callan, Castlecomer, City Library at John’s Quay, Ferrybank, Graiguenamanagh, Loughboy, Thomastown, Urlingford and a countywide Mobile Library Service.
All service points are wheelchair accessible. There is a range of accessible formats/software and Hearing Aid Loop systems in all branches.
Membership is free for all, and provides access to libraries all over the country.
- A wide selection of novels and factual books for adults, teenagers and children.
- Music CD’s, DVD’s, Language courses, and audio books.
- Internet access and online resources including: eBooks, eAudiobooks, eMagazines, on line courses, on line language courses, Britannica Online, Naxos Music Library, www.askaboutireland.ie, Griffith’s valuation & Irish Newspaper Archive.
- A programme of activities for adults and children is organised throughout the year e.g. author visits, arts and crafts, exhibitions, events for the Bealtaine Festival, Heritage Week, the Summer Reading Challenge for children and the Children’s Book Festival.
- Book Clubs: providing facilities, expertise and books for library-based book clubs around the county. See page 9-10.
- Local Studies: preserving the cultural transcript of Kilkenny City and County and providing free access to both local studies and genealogical materials available at Library Headquarters, John’s Green House, Kilkenny.
- Schools' Service: fostering the reading habit for Primary school pupils and supports for teachers.
- Digital drop-in. Help with phones, tablets, devices, etc. (City Library). One morning per week, 11.15am to 12.30pm, School term only.
- Irish: simple conversational Irish for adults at all levels of fluency, takes place at Loughboy, Wednesdays 11am and Ferrybank, alternate Tuesdays 11.45am. Contact Library HQ for details.
For up-to-date information on opening hours, services and activities check our website or follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
Level 5 Covid 19 Restrictions
Due to the imposition of Level 5, Covid 19 Restrictions, all branch libraries and the Local Studies' Department are closed to the public.
We regret any inconvenience caused.
You can avail of our wide range of Online Services by clicking 'Online Library'
You can still contact your local library branch as follows:
|Callan Library||056 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Castlecomer Library||056 email@example.com|
|Ferrybank Library||051 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Graiguenamanagh Library||056 email@example.com|
|Kilkenny City Library||056 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Loughboy Library||056 email@example.com|
|Thomastown Library||056 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Urlingford Library||056 email@example.com|
|Local Studies||056 firstname.lastname@example.org|
(Libraries close on Saturdays before a public holiday)
For Mobile Library service times contact Co. Library H.Q. /see website.